Thursday, April 30, 2015

A Scary Day

Yesterday was a scary day.

KK had a fever most of the day that went from 103.4 to 102.1 to 104.  They were only able to give her Tylenol for 24 hours post-surgery, but it didn't touch the fever.  They tried ice packs and a cooling blanket as well.  They did cultures and ruled out infection. She had some rigor (shaking) that escalated throughout the day to the point where her whole body was shaking uncontrollably.  During this time, her heart rate kept climbing.  Around 4pm, her heart rate was above 150 bpm and she started having arrhythmia.  She was at a 4 -- which I have no idea what that means except to say that the doctor explained if she gets to a 10 they would be doing chest compressions.  He explained that if they weren't able to get it under control that they may have to do interventions like a breathing tube and asked if this is what I wanted to do.  He also said that I should call anyone that I wanted to be there.  I called my parents and just said, "Come."  I texted Pastor Derek with one word, "Come".

One of the doctors from Dana Farber happened to come by when all this began.  He sat down with me at the back of the room and interpreted for me all that was going on.  He also noted that I had a ChapelCares t-shirt on the day before and asked if I was a Christian.  He said that he was a Christian also.  He reassured me that Jesus was in control and that KK was in The Best Hands.  He said he would pray for us as well.

They were able to get the arrhythmia under control with medication.  They did an echocardiogram and her heart was fine.  Once we were given permission to give her Toradol (motrin through an IV), they were able to get her fever down and the rigor began to subside.  Her heart rate was still high (between 120-130) for quite some time.  Finally, around 3am, her heart rate was around 100 and I was able to rest a bit.

Today, we celebrate the 6th anniversary of our adoption day!  KK has had a good day thus far.  She has done Physical Therapy, Pet Therapy (I left to take a shower and missed that), and Occupational Therapy.  They removed the EVD (external shunt).  She also had a visit from my parents and my aunt and uncle from Florida, as well as Mr. Hayward from HCA.  She is exhausted.  I worry every time I see her twitch or feel even the slightest rise in temperature, but both of our hearts are doing better.


Terri said...

So thankful for the update - we've been praying continually and longing to be there. Will continue to lift you both up - love you so much - and praising God for sending a fellow believer just when you needed him!

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how difficult this is...but want you to know how grateful I/we are for your updates.
KK is truly amazing!
WOW...and SO cool that another physician believes in the healing power of Jesus!! SO GRATEFUL that He is always going before you!!
We love you and continue to pray, without ceasing!

Judy Bleau said...

Tanya and KK, it is so good to read your update tonight! I got tears in my eyes reading about the doctor who came in ... another physical sign that God is with you. I can't imagine what you must be feeling but just knowing that you are reminded of God with you makes me smile. Consider yourself hugged. We love you, will continue to pray always, and look forward to updates :-)

Bonnie Fiske said...

I love that picture that you posted, she is amazing and a very strong willed girl. Praying for both of you and sending so many hugs XOXOXO