Monday, September 21, 2015

School Days

Doing school work while waiting for her Avastin infusion at Jimmy Fund Clinic
KK started homeschooling/tutoring 2 weeks ago. She is really enjoying it so far. 

The history is literature-based, so she is devouring it.

The twitching in her right arm means writing is a bit laborious, but it doesn't seem to phase her.

The math is all review right now. I am so proud of how well she is doing, especially considering she hasn't done any math in five months. I have been having flashbacks of drilling her on the steps to adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions while tears streamed down her face because her neck hurt and her head ached so bad. I am amazed at how much she remembers.

By law, the town is supposed to provide tutoring. Unfortunately, I don't think that is going to work for us. I do not want to use their curriculum (don't get me started on Common Core or Learning Through Technology). I also don't think a strict tutoring schedule is going to work with the unpredictability of KK's stamina. Thankfully, our friend, Jenna, is willing to tutor her a couple days per week and understands that KK may need to take a nap in the middle of those days. 

No comments: