Friday, November 2, 2018

Alternative Treatments - Week 3 of Hospice

As week 2 ended and I realized KK was able to assist with her own care again, I spoke with PACT about bringing her home to die.  In order to do so, they would have to wean her off the morphine by switching to methadone.  They gave her one dose of methadone and she didn't seem to do well.  The timing of it made me think that it was some sort of reaction, but her team insisted it was just the disease's progression.  Either way, I decided against the methadone...which meant we weren't going home.

One of the side effects of morphine is constipation.  By week 3, KK's abdomen was greatly distended.  The nurses tried giving her enemas, but they didn't help very much.  I talked to the team about giving her a coffee colonic.  They said they couldn't administer it, but they were okay if I wanted to try.  So I texted our friend Roxana at Body Balancing Center where KK went for colonics.  She brought all the supplies to the hospital and helped me administer a coffee colonic right there in her room...which brought KK instant relief.

I knew of a natural protocol (MSM water and Colloidal Silver) that could help with pain management with fewer side effects than morphine and methadone, in addition to being a last ditch effort to battle the tumor.  I overnighted the ingredients and stealthily administered them to KK.  As we titrated up on the MSM and CS, we were able to taper down a bit on the morphine.

I also decided to begin ordering options as close to vegan as I could for KK.  She constantly amazed the staff with how happy she was to have a veggie burger, mashed potatoes, and carrots or beans.

KK kept asking to have a bath.  I knew what she wanted was what we called a detox bath with Epsom salts and essential oils.  Unfortunately, all she got was a sponge bath.

All the while, KK kept telling nurses about alternative treatments and high dose vitamin C.  She would explain, "You should look into it.  I surpassed the median survival range using it.  If you have any questions, you can ask my mom."

As I look back on our journey, I know that the alternative treatments did not extend her life (God knew the number of her days and cancer or the treatments I chose couldn't change that), but I believe they improved the quality of her life to the very end.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

KK was right. Your spirit is strong. I know that it is the Holy Spirit living in you that gives you the kind of super human strength that you needed to write these words. Thank you for sharing and for filling in the "blank spots" of those last few weeks. Love you, my friend.
Vickie

Vydehi Cancer Center said...

Your strong mind power may help you to come out of the disease. Your blog is interesting to know the facts of the cancer disease.