Saturday, May 31, 2008

Navigating the adoption journey through DSS

Of course, I know that this journey is just beginning. It is a journey that will last the rest of my life and the life of the child God has chosen to join my family. However, this part of the journey, the application and training process, seems so long. It is definitely a lesson in waiting for me.

Thanksgiving week, I began calling the toll-free adoption number I found online every few days. I waited...

I finally heard back from someone the first week in December. This person gave me the phone number of a social worker in the Worcester DSS office. So, I began calling and leaving messages. And, I waited...

Another two weeks went by before I finally spoke with a live person at DSS. She said she would send me an application packet in the mail. I received it on December 20th. It was lengthy, but I wasted no time...I had it in the mail on December 21st. Then, I waited...

The month of January came and went. I waited...

In February, a social worker called to set up a time when she could come into my home and do the "physical standards" evaluation. The social worker came on Valentine's Day. She had a short punchlist of things that needed to be addressed. For those of you thinking of adopting, be sure you have a bathmat for the bathtub. ;-) She said she would send me a letter with the punchlist and asked me to respond in writing how and when I would complete each task once I received the letter. For the letter, I waited...

I received the letter two weeks later and responded within a day. Then, again, I waited...

The month of March came and went. I waited...

In April, I received a call from DSS saying that they were beginning a MAPP (Massachusetts Approach to Partnerships in Parenting) training class at the end of April. This is a 10-week training required of potential foster and adoptive parents. Along with this training, there are also home visits. My first home visit was on May 21st and the next one is scheduled for June 4th. The MAPP training will be completed on June 17th.

So, that's where I'm at on the journey right now...

Waiting for the home visits and the training to be over...

Waiting to find out if I am approved...

Waiting for the day when I meet this child, my child...

It could be two months...

It could be two years...

I will wait for God's perfect timing.

No comments: